As I reflect on my birthday this year (and it’s a big one), I ask myself, “Is this what I thought this age would look like?” Where did I think I would be? This was most definitely not the life I’d planned. But. I am happy with the me I’ve become. So I believe that’s an amazing accomplishment. A gift to myself. Why did it take so long? Why couldn’t I have learned these things and lived this life years ago? Why couldn’t I have been this “me” for all of my life? Maybe it took this journey to get me to this place. Maybe it took life’s hard lessons to make me realize the simple things. And. I suppose that’s what life is really all about. Such simple wisdom. Such simple truth. Truth. That’s what I discovered. My truth. My being. My soul. Not what others wanted to see. Hear. Feel. But what I wanted to give. To myself. To others. The real me. Discovery. It wasn’t an easy journey. I searched. Looked back. Forward. Inside. Out. I relived moments. Questioned decisions. Opportunities. Conversations. And realized that each one was what it was. An opportunity for growth. Good, bad, painful, or heart wrenching as hell, they all brought me to this place. So. I’m grateful.
I’ve learned to “breathe.” To take in the moments. To stop. Being with a child every day teaches you that life is so simple. I had three children. But life was complicated then. I was busy. Distracted. Sweating the small stuff. I wish I hadn’t. Cruz teaches me to stop. Be aware. To see the sharp needles on the cactus. To smell the flowers. See the colors. Splash in the puddle. Sing. Laugh. Simply. Let go. Child’s play. But. If we could all take moments and live like children for just a little while, we’d be so much happier. The joy is abundant.
I celebrate this joy. The simple things. And all the love and laughter that can light up my life. I celebrate being alive. Because I know how very precious life is.
My life lessons…
- Life is about choices and chances. The choices we make can determine the paths we take, but, it’s also the chances that may lead us on a completely different path. Follow your yellow brick road.
- Live for today. Whatever happened yesterday is over. Whatever will happen tomorrow is out of your control. So all you really have is today. Just live it. Enjoy it. And be grateful for the moments.
- “Don’t let anyone invalidate or minimize how you feel. If you feel something, you feel it and it’s real to you. Nothing anyone says has the power to invalidate that, ever. No one else lives in your body… sees life through your eyes…lived through your experiences. No one else has the right to dictate or judge how you feel. Your feelings are important and deserve to be heard. They are inherently valid and matter. Don’t let anyone make you believe otherwise.”
- There will be disappointments, hurt, pain in life. But, again, you have a choice. Hold on or let go. LET IT GO. Free yourself. You can find joy in the darkest times when you free yourself of negativity. Find one good moment. Practice positivity. One good moment in a bad day can change everything.
- “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
- Listen. Don’t just “hear” what children, family, friends are saying. Take time to listen. With your whole heart. Embrace the words. Communicate. This is the foundation for the best of all relationships.
- Don’t waste time trying to please those who can never be pleased. Life is too short. “Spend your life with people who make you smile, laugh and feel loved.”
- Happiness starts today. Why wait for tomorrow, next week, next year? Today is the first day of the rest of your life. The best time to be happy is NOW. Celebrate as if each day was worthy of celebration!
Cheers to another year of happy, joy, peace, and lots of love!